NYAS - National Youth Advocacy Service

Information extracted from the NYAS website:

NYAS is a UK charity providing socio-legal services. We offer information, advice, advocacy and legal representation to children, young people and vulnerable adults through a network of dedicated paid workers and volunteers throughout England and Wales.

NYAS provides specialist legal advice and assistance. NYAS is a legal aid agency provider for family law.

Through these services NYAS provides a safety net for children, young people and vulnerable adults, who have nowhere else to turn. We work within communities across the UK, with children, with young people, with adults, and with carers, local authorities and professionals such as social workers and lawyers.

We are independent and confidential as long as you are safe.

We can help if you are:

  • Not being listened to
  • In need of some advice
  • In need of help to talk to Social Services
  • Aren’t being treated fairly
  • Being told you have to move
  • Having difficulties about school
  • Not having the contact with your family that you want
  • Homeless
  • A vulnerable adult who is disabled
  • A carer
  • Experiencing the separation or divorce of your parents
  • Not feeling safe

If you are a child or young person, or you’re acting on behalf of a child, young person or vulnerable adult and need help, information or advice, please contact our helpline on FREEPHONE 0808 808 1001 or send an email to help@nyas.net. For information on Family Contact sessions please select our link on the left of this webpage; to request sessions please send an e-mail to contact.centre@nyas.net.

Leaflets are available in: Welsh, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Farsi, Polish, Urdu and other languages on request.
We have a leaflet for children and young people with learning disabilities.

Who to contact

Contact Name
0808 808 1001
NYAS Website

Where to go

National Youth Advocacy Service
Tower House
1 Tower Road
CH41 1FF

Access is by Helpline 0300 330 3131.

Other details


Age ranges
All ages
Referral details

Anyone can contact the service through the helpline.  Children, young people, care leavers, teachers, social workers, foster carers, adoptive parents or anyone who is concerned about a child, young person or vulnerable adult who is assessed as "in need", "in care" or a "care leaver".  The most important thing is that the young person must be aware of the referral and give their consent to work with an advocate.

All requests for help are dealt with by the helpline team initially and then passed to an advocate or the legal team as appropriate.

Local/National Service?