Family Rights Group
Family Rights Group's goal is to enable children to be raised safely and thrive within their family and community.
The Charity was established in 1974, by a group of lawyers, social workers and academics who were concerned about how families were treated when social services were involved with their children.
We work with parents whose children are in need, at risk or are in the care system and with members of the wider family who are raising children unable to remain at home.
Our work includes
- Offering a free and confidential telephone and digital advice service providing legal and practical advice to families.
- Supporting kinship carers, for example grandparents, who are raising a relative or friend's child, including helping them to set up local support groups.
- Advocating for parents whose children are subject to child protection inquiries or at risk of being removed into care.
- Campaigning for families to have a voice, be treated fairly and get help early to prevent problems escalating.
- Championing family group conferences and other family-led policies and practices that keep children safe within their family network.
- Influencing law and practice so that so that the right to family life is respected, families are treated fairly and children are protected.
- Developing and running projects, undertaking action research studies, offering training and consultancy, producing publications and organising conferences and events .
- Leading the Kinship Care Alliance, made up of organisations which work together to enable more children who cannot live with their parents to be raised by their family, and ensure that they can the support they need.
- Leading Your Family, Your Voice – An Alliance of families and practitioners working to transform the system
Who to contact
- 0808 801 0366
- Local/National Service?